Tweaking the Non-Conscious Mind

We know, through the study of neuro-science, our conscious mind is incredibly limited, in that it only accounts for between 2% and 4% of our actions.  That tiny amount is about as much control as we have over our lives, unless we understand how to constructively use the other 96% or so which is referred to as the unconscious or non-conscious mind.  This part of our mind is where the majority of our perceptions, habits, beliefs, and achievements are formed and take root.  Thus, to put it succinctly, the conscious mind can exert very little control over the direction of our lives, while the unconscious is so powerful you should look no further to see who the guy in charge is!

Before we wonder about the absurdity of these facts (yes, they are proven), and how to work with the other 96-98% for positive benefit, I would like to say that the real benefit of the conscious mind is to define, articulate, and set goals.  Bravo, it’s at least good for that.  But, before you get excited, know that the conscious mind has pretty short term memory, and is severely limited.  Its “memory horizon is up to 20 seconds.”  Seriously, did you ever try to memorize a seven digit telephone number and find you lost it within seconds?

The conscious mind has a “brain mass of 17%, and its speed of impulse is 120-140 mph.”  These facts are extracted from a book entitled, “The Answer”, by John Assaraf and Murray Smith, two leaders in the field of brain plasticity and neuro-science.  According to the authors, “the non-conscious brain accounts for 83% of brain mass, over 100,000 mph of speed impulse and 96-98% control of perception and behavior.”  Also, according to their research, “the conscious brain perceives past and future, while the non-conscious brain has no perception of past and future.”  That means everything is happening now, for the non-conscious brain.  It lives in the moment.  And, “it is the repository of all your habits.”  This is defined as what you create when you do or say something over and over, and no longer need to think about it consciously to do it properly, like driving a car.  When you think/do the same thing over and over again it becomes a habit of thought, and ultimately a belief.  Uh Oh!  This is where it can get ugly unless you are aware of how to use that little computer in your head.  In computer terminology, the non-conscious part of the brain is the captain of your ship, and is running your basic operating system and your programmable software.  What a cliffhanger!  More to come next week.

Advertisements

Leave a Comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s